Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

"is mail art essentially a private act?"

Dragonfly Dream
September 06, 2001 03:59PM
<HTML>Ok, so I'm bored with all these posts from Craig and Merlin, it's silly, kinda childish even so I don't read them. But this title interested me.

It can be as I sit here doing up postcards, printing, thinking, filing away, adding info to my database. BUT then I pass the mail art to my husband who does up his postage stamp collages to get the mail to you. Then it goes into a postbox where our mail lady oggles and stares at all the mail art and then it gets delivered into the system. How many folks see it then is anyones guess. Eventually it ends up at it's destination and hopefully delights the recipient. Then if it doesn't twang with the recipent they might throw it away, or recyle it, or archive it, or add to it and pass it on. Who knows. So I don't think it is a private act, do you????

Dragonfly Dream</HTML>
<HTML>Dear Dragonfly,
the misunderstandings? and anger arised between Craig and Merlin-
I think about that: Merlin is talking about mailart sent by mail,
and Craig about posting letters and pictures by this board worldwide
to everyone.

This is a difference I think!!!

Years ago I had contact with an italian mailartist, a lesbian girl -
I red - after one year of correspondence with letters and a lot of
paintings, engravings, and more. We met eachothers in Italy -
our contact changed her life, she had two male partners this time,
and ..... a lot of things happened I would not post details about
it here, this is private first , but a lot of our common works and
projects we sent out to other mailartist around the world, but she,
and I decided what to send about to the world , (by mail to artists,
not posted in internet worldwide).

I think the artist , the sender first will decide how private his mailart
is , his project (for instance only inviting mailartfriends personally).

Every thing is allowed to invite - giving rules, selecting persons... and more, but not everything is allowed to do without asking the receiver
if the sending is wellcome or the receiver -
for instance he invited and wrote "no copies please" lthe receiver
will throw it away into the paperbasket.

Internet is not mailart, this Internet board is made for mailartx-change.
And Informations about.

It is not made for cyberartcollages in seconds digitally made for sarcastic visual answers.

Merlin</HTML>
<HTML>Postscriptum,

it is typically craicigal to use my naked body (while computercrash I found just not another selfportrait fast) to work on it and re-post it new,
after provoking me posting another face using the name Klaus Rupp.
(deleted files are stored at the server)

His line seems to be acid only - without any personal respect.

His target seems to troll around - making others angry against eachothers, destroying this board while no visitor wants to read only
this.

I will not accept this, even I tried to ignore it for a long time.

Merlin</HTML>
honoria
Re: &quot;is mail art essentially a private act?&quot;
September 06, 2001 08:44PM
<HTML>Mail art objects --
Working in the social world of the separated mail artists is sometimes private, especially when you are conceiving a response to a theme or a correspondent and making the work. When you actually send the work to another mail artist it becomes either privately received, as a one-to-one exchange, or becomes part of the public archive of the receiver. I show mail art sent to me to anyone who asks. Mail art sent to an exhibition seems to be always intended to be viewed in a public space.

Congressing --
Gatherings of mail artists in congresses or at special events is another important public aspect of mail art over the years. At my first congress in Villorba, Italy Ruggero Maggi asked me and Miss Ruby (The Fake Picabia Sisters) when we wanted to be on the schedule of performances. Until then I had no idea that we were "supposed" to perform anything but in that caring and mail arty spontaneous crowd we made up a performance. It was simple. We gathered everyone in a big cirlce in the garden then one by one we looked into the eyes of each artist and using rubber stamp lips impressed kisses of peace on their faces. At the end everyone at the congress rushed to the center in a strong moment of solidarity, especially to the artists in Yugoslavia who were unable to attend. That moment seems to be very public and very private at the same time.

Writing about mail art --
Writing about mail art is public unless you keep a mail art journal. This summer I am reading reading reading mail artists words about mail art thata are available to the public. I almost finished all 44 of Ruud's interviews and have been reading other essays posted on the net, reading the books on Ray and keeping up with the message board, as well as corresponding with mail artists by email. I 've been receiving many pieces of mail art in response to my "Clashing and Converging: Mail Art and the Internet" call. The contrast is strong. A string of words about mail art is very different from an artist's, poet's interpretations, distillations, explorations, and tactile renderings of ideas.

In summary, it is my experience that my mail art is private when I make it but quickly goes public in most cases.</HTML>
jcsynthetics/philip vw
Re: &quot;is mail art essentially a private act?&quot;
September 08, 2001 10:29PM
<HTML>i think it can depend on your perspective........mail art is not exclusive to artists..it defys the elite....yet is is still only practiced by an essentially small group/community

as i make and send mail to several hundred regular contacts.......i feel that by the networking nature that we all have the work is out in the open...exposed and vounerable to all that may happen to it in its journey to the archive or the bin

so personally mail art for me is not a private activity.....others may differ...

as a non mail artist you may hear or see mail art...made by people who claim to be mail artists..the whole persona of the artist suggests elitist tendancies...working within an exclusive community/club....and so from the outside it may appear to be a small private club</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.