Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

Re: elephants

David Cammack
Postcard sized mailart
May 12, 2001 04:51PM
<HTML>Send me a postcard sized piece of mail art. You choose the theme. In
return I will send you mail art with the same theme you chose.

No deadline.

Mail to: 97218@hevanet.com

David Cammack
PO Box 14235
Portland, OR 97293
USA</HTML>
craig purcell
agreen postcard
May 13, 2001 04:48PM
<HTML>agreen

Mailing causes us to burn fossil fuel by the transportation of atoms via USPS and other postal services - e-mail is better for the environment & cheaper for the user. While people rant about file size they don't take into account how much gas is burned, ozone layer consumed, carbon dioxide is generated to transport their precious art.

When one posts a lower resolution image then it is not as good as the original as created by the artist unless that is their intent. Merlin feels he can just go in and change file size and call it the same without the author's permission. No one is requiring the viewer to click on an image. This editing is a form of censorship and bureaucratic manipulation that seems to creep up in all things.

I understand that memory management is key to quick downloads and many times I optimize my files - other times I don't because I feel that would adversely affect the perception of the viewer and nullify my intent as an artist.

Oh well what can you do? I have not run into this memory problem at all at i-mailart@egroups.com. It is a self running gallery with no editing. Just post and see what happens.

c</HTML>
Polarbird
Re: agreen postcard
May 14, 2001 12:13AM
<HTML>Unfortunately, Craig, even e-mail does not operate in a perfect vacuum. Our use of this technology has ecological repercussions. One small example, strip minning and elephant slaughter in Tanginika (sp?) National Forest. There is a lubricant used in small amounts in all processors which has become a hot commodity in less industrialized nations where it is obtained. One site is within a preserve where the illegal miners kill elephants not for their tusks but for food. Three thousand in the past three years. Now how green is your is you e-mail?</HTML>
craig purcell
elephants
May 15, 2001 05:30AM
<HTML>Hmm - Please tell me more about these lubricants in processors - How many elephants have I killed today? How much energy do you suppose it takes to transport and envelope from here in Seattle to Jakarta.

c</HTML>
Polarbird
May 17, 2001 06:02AM
<HTML>Craig,
Educate yourself:
[ens.lycos.com]

[www.virunga.net]

This is going on in Uganda, Nigeria and Mozambique as well. This is just one small component. What about energy production and disposal?

I'm not saying one form of communicating is better than another in ennvironmental terms. I'm sure just as much fuel was burned delivering a postcard to Indonesia as was burned shipping a circuit board back to Seattle. Your posting seemed to take the position that electronic communication is greener. I don't believe that claim can be backed up with facts.

Consider both activities in light of a larger view. Nearly all activity by living organisms involves consumption. It is arguable that certain examples, such as algae and green plants, are more efficient consumers and remove fewer resources from the environment, yet they still consume some unretreivable quantities. Human activity takes place higher up the food chain and invaribly is less efficient.

All I ask is that you recognize your own consumption while pointing out others'.

Keep communicating,
Polarbird</HTML>
honoria
May 22, 2001 12:37AM
<HTML>I agree that there are growing environmental effects from computers. Here is one article on some results of computer hardware upgrades.

[detnews.com]

"Rapid innovation in computer hardware is dramatically cutting the cost and the useful life of modern computers, creating a solid waste problem in the process. Computers are more than just clunky trash; they're loaded with toxic substances like lead, cadmium, mercury and chromium that can leech into soil and contaminate groundwater."</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.