craig purcell
Merlin i will teach you
May 14, 2001 03:19AM
<HTML>pick one</HTML>
craig purcell
autocrat/dictator
May 14, 2001 03:30AM
<HTML>History of censorship in art

The power of an absolute ruler lies in his ability to control public expression in a way that is favorable to his rule. If a ruler attempts to rule his people absolutely without controlling expression, not only will the government be weak, but also he puts himself in danger of being viewed as something less than a powerful dictator. While not often viewed as a form of media, art in pre-television Europe was a powerful medium through which a ruler could exert control over his people. Often, art is simply viewed as paintings or sculpture, but, on a broader scale, art is also literature and music. The combination of all four of these things must be regulated by the ruler if he wishes to rule absolutely.

There is a historical precedent and a practical reason for an absolute ruler controlling art in his nation. In ancient Rome, the Emperor Augustus kept a tight noose around the necks of the artists in the Empire. One of the great Roman works, Virgil's Aeneid, is viewed by many as political propaganda for Augustus. Likewise, after Ovid published his Ars Amatoria, he was banished from Rome and forced to live Dacia, away from his wife and children who remained in Rome. Practically, if an absolute ruler is unable to control what his subjects read and see, then he is unable to keep them in line. It is for this reason that, in most situations, absolute dictatorships do not work. It is very hard, if not impossible, to control all forms of expression and repress all rebellious thoughts, and without this ultimate control, an absolute ruler can never truly rule absolutely.

The power of an absolute ruler lies solely in his ability to make people believe that he is the best person for the position. Without his people believing that he deserves that spot (historically this has been justified by a great military conquest, divine right, etc.), it is not possible for him to govern his country effectively. Even after he gets his people in line, the ruler must still manage the country militarily, financially, and do everything that needs to be done in order to keep the country running. In order to be an effective absolute ruler, he must control his people first, and only by controlling art, which is the main avenue for expression at that time, can
he accomplish this goal.
nd Wine

Title: History of censorship in art
Copyright 2001 by PageWise, Inc.</HTML>
craig purcell
freespeech.jpg
May 14, 2001 05:41PM
<HTML>freespeech rules</HTML>
craig purcell
apatriot.jpg
May 14, 2001 10:54PM
<HTML>are you a patriot?</HTML>
craig purcell
aafreshkill.jpg
May 14, 2001 11:27PM
<HTML>aafresh
make your mouth water?</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.