Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

Your favourite mail art website?

honoria
Your favourite mail art website?
May 19, 2001 02:43AM
<HTML>Hi mail artists,

Finally, after taking years of coursework and writing several preliminary papers I have the official academic approval to begin dissertation research into the effects of the Internet on the Mail Art Network. My project differs from Michael Lumb's historic thesis because my research is not on the history of Mail Art except in the developing use of the Internet by mail artists. In my research mail artists' histories will contextualize their current and planned activities in relation to Mail Art Internet projects. My research focus is on the present, the future, and on the effects of the Internet on the Mail Art Network.

I'm so excited! Hurray!!! I will be posting more as my research continues.

To begin I am looking for your suggestions for mail art web sites.
- What is your favourite web site(s) about mail art?
- Why do you like the web site(s)?
- What is the function of the web site you recommend in relation to the mail art network?

Please post your response here, or send email to honoria@cyberopera.org, or send images and/or words to about Mail Art and the Internet by snail mail to:
honoria
2505 Enfield Road #15
Austin, TX 78703 USA

Thank you,
honoria</HTML>
<HTML>isn`t it?</HTML>
<HTML>made my diplomas in
_byology_
Kung - Fu
fine art,
art-history and

much more.....

feel free to us this boards for
your work!!!

I want U to see growing!!!

post what U want,
post what U need,
post what will help eachothers!!!

U are very wellcome here!!!

Merlin</HTML>
<HTML>Girl, Woman,

have to tell U, U are walking on very thin ice at summer!!!

Yes my Works are stored at museums, sometimes I made
performances there shown in TV, but....

You Should 2know and re-member!

multimedia - games are online now!

your Idea is a fossil!

- like mine and this boards.....

once I sent out the message by snailmail ( after being invited)
who the @!#$ was Ray Johnson?.........
I met Klaus Staek after Beuys died , saw
Rays Postcards in Museums here (Europe)
buyed the originalls, x-changed it by mailart.....

my way, to hold the line,

just is to accept all I learned,
giving all new features to all people,
we cosss a+ crosses.ne+

best wishes to U - and a big warning to U!!!

If U ever join mailart - your soul and art will become
eatan by this growing organism!!!!

WARNING! WARNING!

it is like biohazard some arthazard!!!!!!

beware from it or fight!

mailart need no thesis - we need U!

Agressive? - no!

sending love with this posting!!!

U are not the Generation old enough
to x-plore mailart today!

How Old are U?

trying to set up any thesis about mailart
today - what a theme!!!!!!

no thestis catched the theme before!
noone will become able to write a real
thesis about ,
but

you are staying there, trying to write about.....

Regards!

... ever red history about merlin?

(called wizzard sometimes, but ownly one of the wise people,
now mailartists)

yours and truely

where to find your paintings etchings online?

- cyberspace is very fast today!

give me any chance to answer online!

- this posting is 5 years olddd!

when I red the thesis you are talking about....

let?s create it new....

art still is the language U know....

Merlin</HTML>
<HTML>Dear Merlin,

First let me tell you that I have been a mail artist for 16 years and I am 54 years old. I am not a young student and I am not an outsider who wants to pick apart mail art for academic reasons. I am an active mail artist who wishes to study the effects of the Internet on the mail art network because the subject is exciting, creative, and evolving into the unknown future. It is important to study the ways mail artists use both the postal systems and the electronic systems during this transitional era. What are the responses of creative networkers at the intersection of these networks? This kind of study will be done either by a participating mail artist or it will be done by an outsider as you suspect I am -- but I am a mail artist, therefore, I am a perfect choice to study and publish the responses of mail artists to cyberspaces.

My idea is not a fossil. My idea is an academic inquiry that will help future researchers into network dynamics understand - from the words of mail artists themselves - the effects of the Internet on the Eternal Network.

I hope you, and other participants on this message board, will participate in my study and share your own uses of the Internet and reflect on the near future of mail art in the age of electronic communications.

I will tell you a bit about my own experience. In 1994 when I first discovered online communities, built of words and interactive objects (in multi-user dimensions), I noted that the collectively-built spaces were similar to mail art because they were freely open to new users, all work was shown, and there was a @who list of all participants with links to their creations (called rooms and objects). From my first impressions I asked people who had roles in the multi-user dimensions and on listservs to send their stories about their lives online in poetry to be used to create an opera about the societies of online personae. This was a blending of mail art ideas and Internet that is still becoming the first Internet opera. You can see the current state of the project at www.cyberopera.org. It is not a mail art project, although it has some qualities of mail art. The cyberopera is a transnetwork project. The opera is called honoria in ciberspazio. I named it after myself as a reflection of mail art self-historification such as practiced by Cavellini. The documentation is the website where all the writers are listed. The text has been edited because the idea - at first a simple "show" of the work, attracted a new level of collaborators who have begun to shape the project into a real performable opera. The cyberopera has taken on a life of its own and new people are coming in from other networks such as the world of opera and the world of technology.

In my research I am looking at examples of mail art and Internet fusion such as I have experienced with the opera. Other examples are websites devoted to mail art such as Ruud Janssen's great TAM site that takes his Interview project to new interconnected potential, Guy Bleus' emailart manifesto project that was both electronic and printed, the message boards populated by mail artists such as yours, and mysterious undiscovered and evolving projects in the present and in the future. I am very excited about my research and the evolution of mail art.

See you in the mail.
Thanks for the warning!
Sincerely,
honoria</HTML>
<HTML>he is blocking new features, we trying to set up for free.....

I warned you even I am very glad about you posting your project
her!!!

I am your man to tell about and work with you,
U need some own website online for your project!
one form for visitors to type in there comments - cgi!

and much more!!!

TODAY!

stay in contact!

one million hits last two years could not be an error!

>>Merlin</HTML>
honoria
Re: mail art is...
May 21, 2001 11:08PM
<HTML>Mail art is made of so many swirling efforts that touch each other, intertwine, reflect, bounce away, conflict, argue, engage, pretend, disappear, enrage, publish, exhibit, intervene upon ...

There are mail art activities that I am ignorant about and others I am discovering. Now that I am reading all the interviews on TAM I am even more amazed about the vitality and the vastness of mail art... And grateful for Ruud's continued project!!! I will share links that I find in the progress of my research. There is no way to define mail art of course, but chronicling activities, ideas, and products of as many networkers as possible leaves a trail of creativity and vision that is most valuable as networks converge and change.</HTML>
Ruud Janssen
Mail Art is something different to everybody
May 19, 2001 09:41PM
<HTML>There are always the ones who think to know what mail art is all about. They are wrong. Nobody actually has a clue. We all form our own picture of what mail-art means to us individually and forget that this picture is different for someone else.

In my mail-interview project I researched that. 2000 pages of paper. Over thousands of letters/e-mails/personal meetings/and other communications-forms where needed. Still I don't have a fixed idea of what mail-art is.

Internet is the new communication-form that is integrated into our lives. Creative people will find ways to use is.

Yes, Honoria, I am looking foreward to seeing your research develope. The times are ideal to do the research. The mail-art network is slowly vanashing. The Internet-art is slowly becoming normal. Technical skills are mistaken for art, or are they the new art-form? We will see.

Ruud Janssen</HTML>
<HTML>craig- ok, the thoughts about your arts are yours ownly!
you had been given to x-press yourself here too!

Merlin will not accept your dayly agressivity against everyone-
destroying free con+ac+s!

nore+neiter!

stop fucking messageboard, instead try to become grewn up by Urself!

U teached me a lot!

one thing was: Tolerance and common culture, sharing wisdom-

never with rats violating it!

rats are animals,
my central project are animals
I am studying animals
animals like U!</HTML>
Merlin
Re: prohibido prohibido
May 19, 2001 10:59PM
<HTML>404, the atttchmeant cannot contain....</HTML>
Dragonfly Dream
Re: mail art is...
May 23, 2001 12:06AM
<HTML>Gee, I don't see anyone actually answering your question dear lady....weird....

My favorite site (s) about mail art is.....

Mine! Of course as I work on it constantly, it is always changing....I have much more to do but as some might know I have cancer and am in treatment.

So, my site Dragonfly Dream [www.dragonflydream.com]

Then I would have to say it is Ruud's site as his was one of my first discovered on the internet.

Keith Bates, Planet Dada, Kiyotei, all the mail art bulletin boards, Vortice, and many more......</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.