Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

mail art

ellen
mail art
May 20, 2001 04:19AM
<HTML>why do people bother sending mail to people they don't know as part of a network?

e</HTML>
David Cammack
Re: mail art
May 20, 2001 05:23AM
<HTML>Maybe they are new to this and are unsure as to who to trust. I've sent plenty of mail art by mistake to people who said they would send documentation or post my art on the web, and then didn't.

What is this network anyway??? Anyone could dissappear tomorrow and never be missed by anyone in the network.

Why do people bother sending mail?

We hope for sincerity.

David C.</HTML>
Sandragons
May 20, 2001 09:42AM
<HTML>For me, being in the mail art loop has the tendency to change my awareness of life. It's like having a camera on in my head, on alert, watching for that event, that juxtaposition of circumstances that can be expressed in a piece of visual art or poetry. And, so when I'm in art mode, my perceptions seem heightened. It's a different way to live, different from robot mode. Within the network are those folks I correspond with on a more or less regular basis who I would definitely miss if they dropped out. Each one has their own style of expression and communication that is unique to them. It's not just a matter of mail piling up in the mail box that could be replaced by some other artist. They are people I care about. And whether or not I get an answer from the mail I send out, I don't consider it to be a mistake. Who can know the effect of our sendings on the lives of others?</HTML>
Net Worker
May 20, 2001 09:55PM
Well said, Sandragons!

How else to meet such great & creative (not to mention generous) people all over the world? People start out strangers and often become good friends. Some come and go-- such is life. Sending is often as rewarding as getting-- and the longer you do it the less you keep score.
Kate S.
May 21, 2001 04:01AM
Nicely put. I couldn't agree more!
Kate S.
May 21, 2001 04:03AM
If this comes up twice, I apologize. It didn't seem to want to post and all I said was ~
"Nicely put. I couldn't agree more!"
No harm in saying it twice I suppose...
Kate S.
May 21, 2001 04:10AM
It's Sunday here and the board must be taking a weekend break, simply won't let me post.
All I wanted to say Sandragons was that your commentary was nicely put, and I agreed with you about mail art friends.... old and new.
honoria
May 21, 2001 11:29PM
<HTML>I send my art into a network of people I didn't know until I started sending mail into a network of people I didn't know.

I was a gallery artist. Art presentation and art distribution was all uphill. A gallery artist has to market themself. It made me tired. There is nothing wrong with being a gallery artist but I was in a system that did not seem to be related to my creative process at all. I love to write letters and it was through a pen pal club in the '80's that I discovered the mail art network. Mail plus art, AND international audiences, responsive, interactive, exciting. Mail art felt then and still feels today like an open studio where ideas flow between creative people. Mail art systems of display, collection, archiving, distribution, documentation, recycling, intervention, publishing, assembling, interviewing, learning, makling, connecting are alive with ideas. Projects and correspondents flow in and out constantly. Art distribution is no longer an uphill struggle, instead it is effortless and rewarding on a direct and daily basis. There are stuggles of course, natural to creation and connection but the receptiveness of mail art is a constant inspiration to create freely and to originate new work.</HTML>
Dragonfly Dream
May 22, 2001 11:56PM
<HTML>I wonder if this e is reading the responses....

I have been out of town.....just back.

I don't have an eloquent answer but I do mail art because it is fun. Sometimes it is weird, other times it makes me wonder, othertimes I am in awe. Sometimes I am confused, disgusted, whatever. Art for me it done as an emotion. I do art to evoke an emotion. If you like it great, if you hate it, no matter, but I got a response didn't I?</HTML>
Ruud Janssen
May 29, 2001 06:09PM
<HTML> mn</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.