Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

Re: writing class assignment

honoria
writing class assignment
July 16, 2002 06:06AM
<HTML>A mail art postcard is a puzzle piece, a complete thing, yet also a fragment of a circulating art exhibition--and in true mail art postcards, both sides of the card poetically interact with each other, and at the same time, both sides make a special statement intended for a specific receiver with a consideration that the receiver is a part of a huge network of people whose whole art form is the postcard. As a member of the network of postcard makers, senders, and receivers, I prefer to say that a postcard is a dramatic event that involves two people in a web of mailed messages. Inspired by direct or indirect messages from other senders the mail artist uses the postcard to communicate with one person while at the same time participating in the whole international network.
Such a postcard involves the mystery of the near and far. The near mystery is the artist?s own relationship with her creative personality, the mystery of what will be created. The far mystery is how the art will be received. Who besides the sender will see it? Will it be valued in a collection? wWill it be included in a publication? I once showed a stack of mail art postcards to my open systems thinking professor. He carefully examined the small artworks and their stamps and said, "These seem to be part of some international system; they have some things in common but are each surprising in their own way. Why are they all addressed to you? Are you an attractor for this art?" Mail art is chaos theory with postage--networked artists are strange attractors for postcards.</HTML>
Dragonfly Dream
Re: &quot;strange attractors&quot;
July 16, 2002 03:58PM
<HTML>Honoria said "strange attractors"- I like that, I very much like that indeed. Postcards are open art, letters in envelopes eem closed, private. But a postcard is seen by all. I often think of my mail carry Alison reading my mail and delighting in the postcard art as much as I do. The mail box truely is a museum, a gallery, my own private collector, my mail art attractor.

Dragonfly Dream

www.dragonflydream.com</HTML>
Lovesexy
July 16, 2002 09:03PM
<HTML>Honoria,
Very amusing and quite an original idea. If this is an example of
your writing the book should be way fun for all. I'm still impressed how many strange attractors can fit in a mailbox?
Love,
Jacqui</HTML>
Mr. Waverly
July 25, 2002 03:20PM
<HTML>It is a shame that honoria continues to place anyone in Coventry that doesn't answer her questionaire.</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.