Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

Clive Phillpot,buZ blurr,Reed Altemus

Dragonfly Dream
Clive Phillpot,buZ blurr,Reed Altemus
November 09, 2002 04:03PM
<HTML>I wonder how these boys are today? I met Clive back in Ohio but don't really have a clue about him. buZ is a joy, he could be a daddy I never had.....also met buZ in Ohio and he paid me a visit here in Santa Fe awhile back. And Reed, also met Reed in Ohio, he is a trip too. I guess we are all a trip....I love that we visit each other in the mails.

~Dragonfly Dream</HTML>
Bill Wilson
Re: Clive Phillpot,buZ blurr,Reed Altemus
November 09, 2002 10:24PM
<HTML>Clive Phillpot is thriving in London, where he works in and around archives, I don't know details, but I do know that he continues to compile a bibliography of publications by and about Ray Johnson. He makes his working draft available to me, an example of his quite correct generosity with the product of his labor. His bibliography, if published on paper, or if made available on the Internet, will make research into the history of networked mail-art much easier. Clive has a special interest in what might be called the metaphysics of the book: what is a book? Are there criteria for judging an object to be a book? Do the criteria derive from Revelation, from Reason, or from historical practice? Clive is in a position to describe the context of "books" as those enter mail-art, for example Ray's "Book about Death," which was never a bound book. Ray picked up ideas and images of books in the period in which Bruno Munari had deconstructed any "essence" of the book, and he was followed, with gratitudes, by artists like Dider Rot. Given that Clive has been the Chief Libarian of the Museum of Modern Art, understand that while librarians have seemed to guard books and the idea of books, Clive seemed never so happy as when someone like Ray produced a paper object that he called a book, but that challenged both abstract understanding of the objects as a book, and concrete methods of preserving fragile, perishable, and rather messy stuff.</HTML>
Ruud Janssen
Recent interview with Clive Phillpot
November 10, 2002 11:28AM
<HTML>Clive is now in London. Since his work at the Moma (NY) stopped he had more time and worked with me in the interview we did. It is available at www.iuoma.org</HTML>
Jane Frame
Re: Recent interview with Clive Phillpot
November 11, 2002 12:18AM
<HTML>Phillip Johnson said it was a combination of the strange and familiar. They created us don't they know who we are? Would you like a Philco Computer?
Bugsy

P.S.
If you want to be really helpful Ruud give me a list of the top ten Appliances in Holland. It's for installation..get it? Oy yeah Johnson and Johnson baby swabs!</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.