Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

mail-art at Whitney Museum 1970

Bill Wilson
mail-art at Whitney Museum 1970
February 27, 2003 11:08PM
<HTML>The folded card that was the catalogue for the Whitney Museum's mail-art show, with my misspellings intact, has turned up on eBay. I quote the description for the sake of the information that might be interesting to someone. Prices bewilder me---I have no idea if the announcement is a bargain or not:

This is a 7" by 7" exhibition announcement for a show put together by Ray Johnson at the Whitney Museum of American Art. It opens up and is printed on the inside as well for a total of 4 pages. There is an artist statement from Ray Johnson and some notes about the show & artist bio by William S. Wilson. This was Johnson's first exhibition of The New York Correspondance School and the first ever mail art show at a major museum. The show ran September 2nd til October 6th, 1970. On the back is a picture of Johnson and a list of contibutors to the show. Contributors included Monte Cazazza, Ken Friedman, Dick Higgins, Alison Knowles, Yoko Ono, James Rosenquist and many more. Printed on heavy card stock this is in near mint condition. 3503696039 eBay

[note: there had been a slightly earlier show of mail-art in California, perhaps not "a major museum."]</HTML>
Bill Wilson
Re: mail-art at Whitney Museum 1970
February 28, 2003 08:06PM
<HTML>
Thank you for your inquiry. I found nothing related to Ray Johnson or Mail-art in my exhibition records. Good luck with your research!

--
Amy Duke, Registrar
Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art</HTML>
Bill Wilson
Re: mail-art at Whitney Museum 1970
March 03, 2003 11:55PM
<HTML>Bill - got this, but it's later, not earlier

Kansas City Art Institute, Kemper Gallery, Book (Dec. 13, 1971 - Jan. 3, 1972)

Didn't have a checklist, so no record of which piece RJ might have had included.

[Message from an archivist.]</HTML>
Bill Wilson
Re: May Wilson 1905-1986
March 04, 2003 04:21PM
<HTML>For mail-artists who don't know: May Wilson, who was essential to the early days of relaying mail-art into a network, that is, the New York Correspondence School of Art, died in 1986. The last one-person show of her collages and assemblages was at the Gracie Mansion Gallery, December, 2001. Both Gracie Mansion and Pavel Zoubok have been exhibiting her collages at art-fairs, and a few are included in group shows. As I type, one collage is in a show at the Everson Museum.</HTML>
May Wilson
Pre-Dating May Wilson ins and outs
March 03, 2003 11:21PM
<HTML>BILL

HERE IS THE PROOF

FROM MOMA Herself

The Museum of Modern Art's

One Woman Show with Anna Ray Wilson and May Johnson.

Sigh-a-mes Twins MEOW !

High!

Stilt Walker</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.