Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

Bastille Day

kiyotei
Bastille Day
May 28, 2001 07:26PM
<HTML>It is good to see so much discussion here. I like folks who stand up and speak their minds. There seems to be some very strong opinions about mailart value and royalty.

Although I am NOT an <i><a href="[www.auschron.com]; with a Ph.D., I know what I like.

And I don't like the aristocracy. If you try to crown a king and queen, then I will storm the Bastille. This is not about personalities, it is about correspondance communication. No judging, No ribbons, No pompous royals.

I have NO issue with artists making a living with their art.
In fact, I have purchased paintings from a few of my "art-pen-pals." Everyone has to make a living somehow and painting is better on the environment than building SUV's.

I have no issue with Bananaland - Just don't hold a coronation on my behalf.

I AM interested in the future - too many of your kings and queens are dead or on life-support.

Open your eyes to the new generation of mailartists. You wont recognize them for years - until they pay their dues, I guess.

(and I don't mean me - cause I'm old too)

Support the youth of this movement. Encourage participation and promote each others web sites. Too much of what I see is self-promotion: Come to my site, buy something, send me something.

Together, we are a powerful force - a global network with teeth. I have seen artists make a difference - We killed <a href="[www.wired.com]; and we helped kill the <a href="[civilliberty.about.com];.

If you want the network to be truly Eternal - then you must tear down the OLD paridigms and embrace some new ideas. Talking about the good old days, and complaining about the effects of the internet on mailart, will just lead to more stagnation.

Support: New contacts, new media, new world.

If you sit around talking about how great it used to be, then the network will end up like the local <b>V.F.W</b> where a few old farts sit around talking about WW2 over beers.

Let's get visionary. I see a lot of positive effects from the electronic networks. Great resources for historical data, easier access to contact lists and storage of exhibits.

I'm optimistic for the future. Big bandwidth - new applications.
I forsee the day when a mailart exhibit will contain an interactive bio of the participants complete with audio/video and live feeds.
Don't want someone to know your identity? - Create your own avitar!
Project your onscreen image as a troll, robot, or hawk-headed wizard.
All of this will be common within a few years.

This NEW communication is already OLD - I've been collaborating on the Internet and BBS's since 1992. What's next? You've got to remain fleixble and take advantage of all new avenues for creativity.

Don't rest on your laurels!
Get your focus off of the past and look to the horizon.

Kings and Queens must kneel to let the kingdom rise!

kiyotei
(butterflys not monarchs)</HTML>
craig
marlene for queen then
May 28, 2001 07:36PM
<HTML>I agree with k
lets get on with it
c</HTML>
honoria
Re: marlene for queen then
May 29, 2001 08:09PM
<HTML>nominating a queen was a joke guys...</HTML>
kiyotei
marmalade for breakfast
May 29, 2001 10:06PM
<HTML>so was storming the prison gates.

:-)

Makes you think though doesn't it?
If people can get this riled up over nothing - imagine what they can do when they put their energies to good use!
Like <font color="#FFFFFF"><a href="[art.net] calls</font></a> for example.

kiyotei
(genome counter)</HTML>
merlin@crosses.net
Re: marmalade for breakfast /champaigne for dinner
May 31, 2001 10:36PM
<HTML>fakt is what happens, Master K is right !

read the signs worldwide!

and look what will happen.

Merlin</HTML>
Dragonfly Dream
Re: champagne for dinner
June 01, 2001 05:01PM
<HTML>Pour me a glass!

I am buys with a mail art thing for the artistamp list....about 70 letters to be sent out with stamps. Not going to say anything, just stick some stamps in the envelope. I've already run out of black ink, color is getting low.....</HTML>
kiyotei
52 Queens
June 10, 2001 07:02PM
<HTML>Besides . . .

<i>everyone</i> knows the real mailart queens are <b><a href="[www.esthan.demon.nl];

<font color="#FF0000">
<center>
kiyotei
(shaking the swamp water off)
<a href="[art.net];
</center>
</font>
<a href="[www.photographica.org] click here</a></HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.