Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

Re: Mail Art's raison d'etre/Interview projects

Dragonfly Dream
Mail Art's raison d'etre
June 01, 2001 05:20PM
<HTML>Read this the other day and it made me think....
So what is Mail Art's raison d'etre???? And what will be it's end?
Some folks think the internet is mail art's end but I dissagree. Honoria would dissagree to I bet. And Ruud too.
I see the internet as expanding mail art.
But it's raison d'etre? Ummmm, what do you think? For me, as a kid I sent decorated envelopes to pen pals overseas. I painted birds and mermaids and used stickers alot. You should see my letters home to mom from camp. I was a mail artist before I knew what it was. Now I can't imagine not getting something wonderful in the mail box museum each day. I bum out on Sunday or holidays when no mail art comes. I'm already bumming about my future time in the hospital and the recovery time from my impending arm surgery. How will I do mail art with an arm in a sling????

Mail Art's raison d'etre.....communication,expression,venting,challenging,laughing,pissing someone off,makinglove,makingart,sendingart.....</HTML>
c
raison d\'etre
June 01, 2001 08:25PM
<HTML>because because</HTML>
raison d'etre
i post therefore i am
June 02, 2001 01:39PM
<HTML>I think Honoraria makes one good points about who should judge mail art. Right now it is wild and free and independent of the mainstream art movements. Nevertheless it shall be time/date stamped, sliced and diced and enter the history books in some form - probably starting with Ray and the NYCS - although their has been a history of art exchange amomg artists for a long time.

Mail Art is essentially a loosely networked system of artists with their own distribution system. The artist does not need to rely upon patrons, galleries, crititics, historians for its economic underpinnings and existence. In fact it is a threat to the established order because there is no real way to value the work from economic standpoint. All these artists freely distributing their works would drive dealers mad as they cannot tell how much of any one person's work is out there and who owns it. It is difficult to build a track record of sales when supply and demand issues are disturbed.

All these artists influencing each other and being influenced in return independent of the blessing of the established order is the real revolution. The mainstream is feeding of its past and dying off.

Do we as mail artists care if the authorities bless our work. In a sense the post mark is the certification by an authority and authenticates the work and enterd it into history. Small children love rubber stamps because it gives them the power to serify and mark things with their own personal physica; mark of stamping.</HTML>
raison d'etre
my-old-stamps.jpg
June 02, 2001 01:41PM
<HTML>my-old-stamps.jpg</HTML>
the top hand
Re: Mail Art's raison d'etre
June 02, 2001 02:35AM
<HTML>dragonfly, don't worry, the sling won't stop you. Insist you get to see a good occupational therapist, like me and we'll make sure art happens one handed or some other way. I'm back in town for good by the way. caryn</HTML>
Dragonfly Dream
Re: OT
June 02, 2001 05:23PM
<HTML>Great, I'm sure I will need you bad galfriend. Here i sit with my wrist bad on helping out my right hand as it is.....cross your fingers for me, I'm hoping and counting on this bone cancer to be a stage one or bening even thank you very much!!!</HTML>
<HTML>Hey DFDream,
Thanks for the lead to Zena Zero's interview project.
I just found that Reine Shad did an interview project too.

[perso.libertysurf.fr]

hopefully,
honoria</HTML>
honoria
Re: raison d\'etre
June 02, 2001 02:43AM
<HTML>I don't think the mail art network has a common raison d'etre because the mail art network is composed of hundreds/thousands of individuals, each with her or his own reason for being a mail artist. Each mail artist has a personal perception of the the Network and each one of us has varying degrees of experience, exposure, techniques, exchanges, history and contexts. I value the mail art tradition of interviewing mail artists about their own experience. Ruud's series is a great resource to mail artists who want a glimpse into other individual mail artist's experience. Dan Plunkett at ND zine also did interviews of many mail artists.

Of course, now that I am involved in qualitative research on the effects of the Internet on the Mail Art Network I would like to learn of other interview projects because the methodology of qualitative research is the interview and the focus group, or in mail art terms, the Congress. And my dear?Kiyotei, I do not have a Ph.D yet. I am working toward a doctorate and I have a lot more work ahead. It will take another year of research and writing with mail artists' participation at the center of the whole project! Getting a Ph.D. is an expression of my love of mail art. My research is an opportunity to go deeper into the complex systems of mail art than I would have otherwise been able to delve. Mail art is a very important art movement (or whatever you want to call it). The story of mail art evolution should be told, and recorded, and interpreted by mail artists themselves because, if art historians become the authorities on mail art, they will filter the raw experience of networking through an aesthetic vocabulary of connoisseurship, quality, formalism, iconography, iconology, structuralism, intellectual history, social history, psychology of art, etc. What if they do? If critics and art historians find value in mail arat using classic terms of evaluation and reflection all is good because it makes the world safer for our archives. However, there is a personal richness in the details of each of our exchanges. In contrast to historical generalizations my research will be filled with stories and mail artists' idiosyncratic responses to the Internet in relation to their own unique experiences with mail art through the postal systems told in their own words.

That's what I think.
honoria

Dragonfly Dream -- our hearts and creativity are with you!</HTML>
Dragonfly Dream
Re: raison d\'etre
June 02, 2001 05:26PM
<HTML>Honoria, do you know about Zena Zero's project? She called it something like Cat Friend but it was a series of interviews with mail artists. It was cool!</HTML>
kiyotei
Becoz my goat is pregnant
June 02, 2001 05:44PM
<HTML>My very dear Honoria,

I never said you had a PhD. Although I'm sure you will.
I was merely stating that I am not an academic - in reference to the article that you sent Craig (and he sent me):

<b><a href="[www.spareroom.org] mailart</a></b>

I have changed my mind - I think I like queens today. In fact, I am sending you one, along with a joker in your dog's life docs. In the mail to you today!

I am meeting with some people next week to see about including the dog's life call in a performance exhibit at the end of the month.
It is called <i>Technomaniacircus</i> and will feature jugglers, fire breathers, and freaks. One day only extravaganza - sounds like fun.

Take care my excellent friend.

kiyotei
(fashion-challenged)</HTML>
Polarbird
June 02, 2001 03:53AM
<HTML>Do sculptors sit around debating clay vs marble? Mail art or internet, each is merely a medium. At the core is creating.</HTML>
Dragonfly Dream
June 02, 2001 05:28PM
<HTML>Good point Polarbird, but I bet they do! Hey, I took some silly photos for you while I was in NYC....penguins on a piano.</HTML>
Polarbird
June 03, 2001 02:38AM
<HTML>I can't wait to see them. Nice to know you were thinking of me while I was thinking of you. Use your strength and energy to get better. The mailman will still deliver for you when you recover.

Polarbird
[www.polarpost.homestead.com<];
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.