Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

kiyotei's art links are GONE!

kiyotei
kiyotei's art links are GONE!
July 13, 2001 07:10PM
<HTML>Hello all,

I know that many of you have used my art-related bookmarks that were hosted on the myHq site: <a href="[www.myhq.com] art bookmarks</a>

At the beginning the day (yesterday) I counted 525 bookmarks.
Well . . . sometime after my count (which is done by the computer and very accurate) the webmaster at myHq decided to just edit them at his discretion. . Today there were under 500 and the directories were moved into a different order than previously set by me. It was obvious that soimeone had changed the look and the content of my page.

I sent email to the webmaster regarding this matter and have so far received NO reply. I expected this because I have sent hime 3 or 4 previous emails (one thanking him for providing such a great resource) and I have never got a response to any email.

Now here's my problem with this:
I don't know which bookmarks he deleted - So I have no way of getting them back easily. This page was tool for me and I hoped it might be useful to others as well. I did not make backups of the URLs because I have had received no objections to anything previously posted.

I have no problem with him asking me to remove links he feels were inappropriate or violate some hidden objection that he has . . . BUT to remove them, without notification and without replying to my repeated emails is completely BOGUS.

I have removed all the bookmarks (after copying them this time) in protest and I will attempt to create a new bookmark page from scratch.

I appologize, to anyone who regularly uses them, for the inconvienence.

As you can imagine, this will be a time-consumming task. Does anyone care? I usually check the links for validity at least once a week and add/delete them on a regular basis to ensure you get very few "ERROR 404's."

So here's the part where you come in . . .

If you found the links useful (or not) and would like to see them online again, please send email to me kiyotei@beer.com and let me know if it was a valuable resource for you or just a waste of time.

Also - please send email to: webmaster@myhq.com and let him know if you used "kiyotei's art links" and suggest that the methods he used are less than satisfactory. I would appreciate any and all suuport/suggestions/comments/feedback.

Thank you

kiyotei
(unhappy cat)</HTML>
kiyotei
Re: dead links
July 13, 2001 08:42PM
<HTML>Thanks!
Your emails really helped to get a response!

although I believe it was the URGING that helped get a response...

In the interest of fairness, I am posting the webmaster's reply:

Kiyotei's page wasn't deleted by purpose. The database had a hiccup
and the links are being retrieved from backups.

Kiyotei, I can understand your frustration but my apologies if you didn't
receive a prompt reply. I was a little busy getting the data back up for
everyone on the site.

guys, pls understand that myhq is run as a personal service. It's not a
commercial venture and I'm taking care of it in my free time. So, it may
sometimes take quite a while before I can get back to you.

Regards,
Jannsen Choong

Thanks
kiyotei</HTML>
kiyotei
July 14, 2001 05:01AM
<HTML>Well it appears that the webmaster has restored all my deleted links.

It still remains unsatisfactory to me. The site has obviously been altered (I date every change on the page). Several links have been removed and the topics have been rearranged.

This is not cool. I have sent a reply to the webmaster and I have asked to remove my account from his site.

I urge you again to let me know ( email: kiyotei@beer.com) if you use my bookmarks and if you want me to recreate the page on my own website.

Thank you for your support.

Thanks

kiyotei</HTML>
Merlin
July 14, 2001 02:09PM
<HTML>I thought you?r your own webmaster - ok, you are using not independent free accounts.

However, always store a recent backup of all stuff you have online.
So it will take minutes to setup it restored again anywhere.

(Yes I know it is a dream really to do this while such lot worldwide
activities happens ... I am more interested in to save other mailartists
websites on my harddrive than mine.... but ... sometimes really
necessary)

we?re cats and dogs
we?re hedges and hogs
art is a garden
mailart a landscape;
We are animals in it.

Please stay with me, Your work and contacts are very important.

Brother by Mind.

Merlin</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.