Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

where are the creative people?

Bigg Boss
where are the creative people?
August 28, 2001 10:52PM
<HTML>the subject tells it all. Creative is more than just repeating things that have been done before....</HTML>
David Cammack
Re: where are the creative people?
August 29, 2001 01:14AM
<HTML>Maybe everything has allready been done. I've created stuff before only to discover that someone has done allready done it. What's new?

I'm open to new ideas.

David Cammack
PO Box 14235
Portland
OR 97293</HTML>
honoria
August 29, 2001 04:01AM
<HTML>Have you clicked around on the links people here have posted? Merlin's animals, kiyotei's amazing online docmentation, his interview project, Ruud's famous huge installation always changing on geocities, Dragonfly Dream's amazing site bulging with hairy bald artistry, Riene Shad Factory's French mail art projects and more and more and more...
You do know how to click, don't you?
-- honoria</HTML>
RF C?t
August 29, 2001 02:13PM
<HTML>Speaking about clicking, I invite you all to take a look at my modest e-board on mail art and other artistic creativity things. Nothing to compare with Ken Miller, Dragonfly, Reine Shad, Kiyotei and others great web pages which are very inspiring and interesting. I like very much to see others work and sometimes, mine on line! Comments are more then welcome. Wish you all a wonderful day!
Reg</HTML>
RF C?t
August 29, 2001 02:15PM
<HTML>Ooooops I forgot to put the link!!
[www.MyArtBoard.eboard.com]
Sorry about that!
Reg</HTML>
Jen
August 29, 2001 05:32PM
<HTML>Reg, thanks for the link to your site. I've added it to my favorites (which include the ones you mentioned in earlier message). I liked the information on ATC because I've seen less about that area, and I loved your book, "Like a Letter in the Mail." Creativity documented.

Maybe what people do has been done before, but not in exactly that way or with that particular take on the idea. Although I love the product of mail art, I also love the process of creating anything.... The process that actually removes you from the world with the intense involvement of the activity. Seeing the products of the process (the good, the bad, and the ugly) has been such a pleasure.

I have been visiting mail art sites since late June and have seen hundreds of envelopes, cards, project responses. What amazes me is the variation you can see on each theme. Creativity doesn't have to be world-shaking.</HTML>
kiyotei
Bob eboard
August 29, 2001 04:47PM
<HTML>Yeah!

I see Bob made the trip okay. I was wondering how he would weather the Canadian Postal system.

:-)

Your humble site is very interesting. I like the little post-it folders and the ease of navigation. It was great to see the ATC's as well.

How is your Christmas crib coming along? Have you assigned all your characters yet?

BIG thanks for the *link* - one more door is always welcome.

Take care Reg.

kiyotei
(searching for sockets)</HTML>
RF C?t
Re: Bob eboard
August 29, 2001 06:34PM
<HTML>Hey Kiyotei, thanks a lot for the feedback, it's appreciated.
About my mailart call, lots of people showed interest but it's coming in very slowly. I only have 3 entries (Bob being the first one) so far.
I still need 4 caracters to fully complete the crib, anyone interested?
Hopefully everything will be on time, before or shortly after October 1st.
I am not panicking.......yet! The guy in charge of the exhibit (the annual Xmas Crib exhibition) showed a lot of interest in that project.
Cheers!
Reg</HTML>
Bigg Boss
August 29, 2001 09:23PM
<HTML>No need to be cynical.

Yes, I know how to click.

I just try to point out that the digital media are not the digital version of a material worls. The digital world is something new. Explore the new elements, not just digitize the analog elements.</HTML>
dADa Vark
August 29, 2001 09:30PM
<HTML>ok, Bigg, am I missing something?

You say, CREATE.... so, where are YOUR creations? Give us a link or an attachment or something.

da</HTML>
Bigg Boss
my work
August 30, 2001 10:00PM
<HTML>my work is online at dozens of sites. Probably you have seen it. It is just under a different name.</HTML>
RF Cote
Re: my work
August 30, 2001 11:28PM
<HTML>What's the purpose of all this???? Why hiding. I would be very interested to see your creations. Please show me, show us, show it to the world...</HTML>
Bigg Boss
August 29, 2001 09:20PM
<HTML>"I'm open for new idea's" is what you write.

The artist searches for new idea's, he doesn't wait till someone gives him a new idea that he can start with.

to be short: create!</HTML>
honoria
August 29, 2001 10:23PM
<HTML>Illustrations from people who post here prove that innovation is alive and well in the mail art nets; the postal, the wired, and the wireless.

Do you have links to examples of the kind of innovation you would rather see discussed? I believe you can find digital art discussed on many other message boards and listservs like Rhizome and the NYTimes forums. I am affiliated with the Advanced Communication Technologies Laboratory (ACTLAcool smiley and their listserv is full of convergent media disscussion and links. I venture to guess that there are many more boards discussing net art and digital aesthetics than mail art. Are you also a member of net art discussion groups? If you are also a mail artist perhaps you will offer comparisons between the discussions found in the web art boards and the mail art boards and reflect on their communities of practices.</HTML>
honoria
August 29, 2001 10:46PM
<HTML>People who want to see some amazing web-based art can visit the Dia Foundation web site at <a href="[www.diacenter.org">www.diacenter.org<];.

If you read Dia Foundation project descriptions you will notice that the examples are not grassroots free expressions of digital creativity. The artworks are funded projects by artists who have gone through juries and highly competitive funding processes. The more I think about it, I understand that realizing digital art is not at all parallel to having a supportive global network to explore in. Is it more creative to lick a stamp you created yourself or to suck up to a jury?</HTML>
David Cammack
August 30, 2001 07:42PM
<HTML>"Is it more creative to lick a stamp you created yourself or to suck up to a jury?"

Some people get inspiration from sucking up to a jury. You can't deny creativity to those who make art differently from the way you do.

David Cammack
PO Box 14235
Portland
OR 97293</HTML>
Bigg Boss
you're right
August 30, 2001 10:01PM
<HTML>as long as your goal is to create something new, that is ok by me</HTML>
honoria
Re: nothing new
August 31, 2001 06:38PM
<HTML>Did you go to Diacenter.org?
Did you look at the ballroom project?
That's my favorite one.
It's very mysterious and evocative.
What's new and what's the quality of newness you find so valuable?
Watch the news instead of trying to find newness on mail art boards. Creativity can be found separately from new for new sake.
\my 2 cents</HTML>
honoria
Re: xerox_on_common_bond.jpg
August 31, 2001 09:28PM
<HTML>was it the media or the message?</HTML>
Craig Purcell
it was the media
August 31, 2001 09:45PM
<HTML>so second generation
70's
old world...

c</HTML>
Craig Purcell
freakin.jpg
August 31, 2001 09:44PM
<HTML>sorry dave
bits rule
c</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.