Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

Call for submissions

Chris Neal
Call for submissions
August 12, 2002 11:32PM
<HTML>Da Premise: Brains are no longer of value in a mainstream culture, especially if associated with making something as mysterious as art. Brainhead and his sidekick Turtle are therefore in grave danger of being experimented on by marketing companies and political tyrannies. How can they do something as simple as buy groceries? Please send your disguise ideas for Brainhead and Turtle to us.

Artworks will be posted in the ImageSpeak gallery in small groups of twenty and rotated every three weeks. We encourage absolute creative license with this project; include your stamps, collage work, paint (no organic materials please) stickers and best of all-- personal expression. Print off a copy of Brainhead and sidekick Turtle to create your image of "disguise."

tradition of mailart protocol there will be
no jury, no rejections and no returns.
Please clearly write your name and country on the back so we can list you with your image

Complete details at this web address
[www.iqinternet.co.uk];
Greg Byrd
Re: Call for submissions
August 22, 2002 10:47PM
<HTML>Hi Chris,

You say that this call follows the tradition of mailart calls, but since when does that tradition require an administration fee? Please tell me your 1 Pound fee is a joke.

Greg Byrd</HTML>
Greg Byrd
August 24, 2002 08:32PM
<HTML>Well kids,

After some nasty inferences from this individual offlist, I had to conclude that this is not anything that approaches a mail art call.... Just a scam, a way to take your money and make a sucker out of you while subverting the tradition of mail art. Very callous, cynical and nothing but a money grubbing scam. Beware.</HTML>
Chris Neal
August 24, 2002 09:14PM
<HTML>If you want to listen to this mindless rubbish, feel free. It's not compulsory to get involved in this exhib, it's a free world. Mr Byrd obviously believes his work not be worth a pound and frankly after looking at his web site, nor do I. But like I said, it's a free world, enter if you want to, don't if you want to, but try not to be swayed by negativity and childish attitudes. This exhib is intended for adults with artistic abilities.

That's all from me, no doubt a even more childish pile of rubbish will follow, I leave it upto your maturity to decide what you want to believe.

Oh.. one more thing, I did offer Mr Byrd the opportunity to help us make this free, and make it into something that mail-artists would be pleased with, but as usual he just poured out his negative nonsence, if there are any adults out there that would like to help/advise, lt me know</HTML>
Greg Byrd
August 25, 2002 12:12AM
<HTML>Money Grubbing has no place in mail art. If you really need money get a job, don't try to prey on those who enjoy mailart for what it is. I personally will speak out against those who try to subvert a history of free exchange by dishonestly posing a "for profit" venture as a mailart project.

What Neal suggested in an expected vulgar way, was that I curate his mail art call for him, for free. He changed his tune when I pointed I out I currently have a call in progress with no money requirements to enter, nor have I ever required it of any of my calls.

I find him and his effort to disguise this as a mailart call as offensive as any attempt to con good intentioned people into believing that people should be charged to enter mailart calls. The only reason that I noticed his attempt to profit through the network, was by accident, as he conveniently hid the money requirement in the fine print. Don't get taken by this dishonest scam!</HTML>
Chris Neal
August 25, 2002 09:39AM
<HTML>Now I get it, you want to pay you! You want to make a profit from fellow artists, glad that's cleared-up for everyone. Thanks for the admission.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login