<HTML> A film about Ray Johnson will be shown in Paris:

"How to Draw a Bunny" will screen in Paris at the Forum des Images on
November 9th and 10th. If you have friends in Paris, please pass this
information on to them. I will be there. Tell them to say "salut!" and I'll
buy them a glass of vin rouge.

--John Walter
For more information, go to:

[www.forumdesimages.net];
<HTML>John Walter is a film-maker who has done a few years of research in order to make a film about Ray Johnson. He has compiled a huge remarkable archive of interviews with people who were acquainted with Ray, only a small fraction of which is used in the film. Reviews of the film usually mention mail-art and Ray's contribution in the form of a network, hence my mention of the film here-&-now. The story by Edgar Allan Poe has been discussed in my essay about Ray's essay in Correspondences, the book/catalogue published by Wexner Center with Flammarion. William Wilson (13 letters) is associated by Ray with Marianne Moore (13) and Marilyn Monroe (13). Moore and Monroe both have bilaterally symmetrical initials, MM, while Wilson is a reverse, WW, but still is symmetrical, a mirroring. The story by Poe can be used to illuminate the living and dying of Ray Johnson. He sometimes expressed the feeling of being twins, the good Ray Johnson and the bad Ray Johnson. In Poe's narrative, when William Wilson kills the bad William Wilson, the act of murder is effectively a suicide---he can't kill his bad self without killing himself. Some psychoanalysts interpret suicide as a displaced murder---that is, that the person kills himself or herself rather than the person who is the intended object of the murder. If Ray Johnson was murdering the bad Ray Johnson, the effect was his dying. He phoned me the Wednesday before his drowning to discuss the word "murder"--we divided it in two, read it backwards as in The Shining (redrum), etc. He left on a small table a note that he clearly had doodled about murder while we were talking. I don't know, of course, who his suicide might have been murdering, if it was. Yet hypotheses are necessary for a period until the astonishing details of his drowning settle into a fairly clear picture. John Walter's film offers several different perspectives on Ray---points of view that begin to construct a well-rounded picture---but does not offer its own theory.</HTML>
<HTML>Sorry: I wrote, "as in The Shining," using capital letters to indicate a title, in fact the title of a film in which "shining" pertains to mysterious foreknowledge. At one point in the film the word "murder" is seen on a wall, painted in red as I recall, whether blood or paint, written backwards as REDRUM. I am not frightened by words being written backwards (I have a daughter named ARA, and have suggested the name ADA for one of the twins she is carrying), but many people have found spooky images in the combinations possible in REDRUM. Ray Johnson was quick to reverse images, people, objects and words. Noting the palindrome TOPSPOT, he rewrote it as POTSPOT, reversing TOP to POT, thereby constructing a work that wasn't a palindrome, but that had many implications that could combine with implications in other parts of his work. POTSPOT is like a truncated SPOTSPOT; the word "pot" is a potent image---he wrote a play about a teapot---and he enjoyed the name of his friend, Clive Phillpot. Disassembling the word "murder" was in line with his investigations into words as art-supplies, for he would press down on a word to squeeze out of it meanings beyond the familiar uses of the word. I must learn to be more explicit and unambiguous when writing for messageboards---I'm sorry for the blurr, my note was far from a shining example of what a message should be.</HTML>
<HTML>Bill,
I read the obit for Charles Henry. God I hardly knew any of this but you said something harsh about the surrealists...I always loved them particularly the french ones I can't remember
and of course Tzara. I liked Michael benedict's writing. I got out to see Tom Raworth and someone from County Cork named Trevor. It was beautiful at Danny's Bar in Chicago that night. So will you go to the alive and kicking show? I'd love to see some of that memoribilia. $40,000.00 for a post card.It reminds me of the line from Gide..the reports of my death..Are you Irish? I'm introducing Ray Johnson to a few friends. He really is fascinating. Buddhist don't believe in death. Bless ray Ananda!
Love,
Jacqui

P.S.
You're right about May Wilson she's worth more than 20 cents.</HTML>
Johnny Minotaur not Apollo
Re: Ray Johnson film in Paris: &quot;Lafayette, we are here.&quot;
November 10, 2002 05:10AM
<HTML>Do you ever run into Jim Carroll? It's his Birthday!</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.