Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

Re: "network" and friendsh

Dragonfly Dream
mail art as a "network"
February 03, 2003 07:01PM
<HTML>So today as I sit eating yogurt and thinking about Clemente in Uraguay and Jas who is from Canada but somewhere now in where, Argentina on his way to Clemente. I read an email from Guido V. and one from dadaVark in Texas, I'm thinking

NETWORK

What really is a mail art network, am I a networker? Who is it, Baroni or Maggi who is a meta-networker? OK, so years ago when I first was big and heavy new into mail art I did everything. I entered call after call, I did every add and pass I sent on stuff, distributed this and that updated my website weekly, etc, etc, etc.....

But now, life has shifted focus. Going through two cancers, divorce and statrting up a foundation has got me a wee bit busy and tired. I still do mail art, not daily as it used to be but at least three times a week. So am i still a networker ? and what is a networker anyway????

~Dragonfly Dream</HTML>
Bill Wilson
Re: mail art as a &quot;network&quot;
February 03, 2003 08:16PM
<HTML>
Imagine a perfect grid, like an ideal net. And then imagine pressures on that grid, like something pulling the grid of the net into different shapes, with varying distances among the nodes of the grid. Imagine a fluctuating recticulum, like a net on top of a pool of water. The ?School? of New York Correspondance School arose within a field, then separated to become its own field, and then spun off independent fields which are still spinning. For field, imagine a swimming pool of water, where a splash at one end reverberates and vibrates to the farther end. I think of the mail-art network as a field of rapports. Ray's early mail-art, as a network, was constructed first by people from within his field of friends and acquaintances?-the self-selected people who decided to participate. So he began with the people in his life with whom he enjoyed aesthetic rapports, but then the field and/or network became independent of Ray Johnson, and what happened was really no longer up to him. While he continued to extend the field his rapports to include more and more people, the independent field became fully autonomous, and tended to leave him behind, if only because he participated only on his own terms, which no longer governed the network. The autonomy is shown in the fact that Ray, as a founder of his network within his field, did not understand or appreciate what the network became when it developed itself and organized itself into an objectively separate and autonomous field. Ray was sensitive to Oedipus, as in his picture of Elvis as Oedipus, and indeed, Oedipal themes arise in the history of mail-art. Contemporary mail-artists understandably may reject him as a ?father? of the mail-art they do, and French mail-artists may find inconceivable his paternity of anything as chic as their ensembles. But they do so within a network that has a ?family resemblance? to Ray?s field of communications, his mail-art network.

However netting a Dragonfly may be a different story.</HTML>
Bill Wilson
February 03, 2003 10:33PM
<HTML>was mostly a state of mind

What are those words supposed to mean? There are good states of mind and bad states of mind---constructive, and destructive, and so on. Mail-art is a method of thinking about one's realities, or it can be for those who choose to think their way toward trustworthy visual thoughts. Some mail-artists construct a decoration, while others construct a construction which they may also decorate. Take you pick...</HTML>
Gik Juri
February 04, 2003 09:36AM
<HTML>But mail art network is network of friends too. Some mail artists I have exchange with are more close for me than friends in real life, though I've never meet them.</HTML>
Bill Wilson
Re: &quot;network&quot; and friendsh
February 05, 2003 12:16AM
<HTML>I wrote a book (catalogue) about Ray Johnson:
chapter I: The Art
chapter II: Of Friendship
chapter III: The Art of Friendship

Black Mountain College Dossier: Ray Johnson, The Art of Friendship

As in writing about Picasso in the Art Journal a few years ago, I am trying to pull art back into the context of family and friends in which it was made, because so many meanings are stripped of art when it is isolated as a commodity on display in a gallery or a museum. The theme of friendship intersects with the theme of gifts in contrast to saleable commodities. Of course each instance is different, so I go case by case. There are good friends, and sometimes good friends are bad. One by one... And mail-artists: let each one, teach one, weaving people into a friendly network...</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.