Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

exhibition and "How to draw a bunny" at Amherst

Bill Wilson
exhibition and "How to draw a bunny" at Amherst
February 06, 2003 10:45PM
<HTML>Mail-art Involved with Exhibition: Critical Mass: happenings fluxus performance intermedia and Rutgers University 1958-1972 has opened at the Mead Art Museum, Amherst College, February 1 to June 1, 2003. The film about Ray Johnson, ?How to draw a bunny,? by John Walter, will be shown Thursday, February 27th, 4:30pm. A letter typed by Ray is displayed in a frame, so there is enough mischief in the show to go around. Films by Yoko Ono, herself a palindromic mail-artist, and other events might be posted by the College and/or the Mead Art Museum (a name which is much less preferable in English than The Mead Museum of Art). An inspiring mail-artist, Geoff Hendricks, will give a gallery talk on Friday May 30th, 4:30 pm. Geoff has distributed postcards with pictures of skies, and of himself with a beard juxtaposed to his Norwegian grandfather, etc. Pursuing neither fame nor fortune as a mail-artist, he has quietly subverted deadening systems with enlivening performances that are not scarred by the least hostility, malice or resentment. His gentle tone is a component of meanings that are strong without being in any way destructive:---strong, because they are good. While in Amherst, a visitor can move toward nearness with one of the greatest mail-artists, Emily Dickinson, whose letters were poems and whose poems were letters. A sample of the primal poetic messages in her correspondence: ?This is my letter to the world?--

This is my letter to the world,
That never wrote to me,
The simple news that Nature told,
With tender majesty.

Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me!</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.