Re: is all mail art good?

craig
if mail art is free?
May 26, 2001 09:01PM
<HTML>then why pay postage?</HTML>
craig
mailart is not free
May 26, 2001 09:27PM
<HTML>If the mailartist needs the post office to authenticate their works and they have to pay for this process - then it seems like a gift giving vanity press of sorts.</HTML>
Merlin
Re: mailart is not free / email ain`t too!
May 26, 2001 11:22PM
<HTML>hey craig - everything we are doing somone have to pay for it!!!

Did you ever saw this - even something heared about ZEN or anything
else???

nothing from nothing leaves nothing- line from one popsong I know.

help me building up this boards, a free forum for free artists and
artist that are not free----- last is more important than you I think.

Help me!!! I need You too!!!!

Free spirits online in www!!!

with Wisdom about Art and cyberspace too!!!!

and - PLEASE - care for all the visitors here like I do.

Merlin</HTML>
honoria
Re: REAL mailart
May 28, 2001 04:55PM
<HTML>Of course, objects of art that evolve in relation to mail art are sold by artists. The same objects circulated by the artist for free in the mail art network systems may be circulated by the artist for money in the art market systems. I see no conflict. An artist stamp issue is a good example. There is an interest in artist stamps by collectors and galleries. An artist who is a commercial or gallery artist (or architect) participating in art commerce AND the mail art network is a normal pattern. For a while Christo and Carl Andre who were famous art world figures participated in mail art. They sent out art objects for free. Ruggero Maggi sells his fine art and also participates in the mail art network sending creative products for free. Anna Banana, an important mail artist, participates in mail art projects for free and gallery exhibitions for profit, so does Jas Felter who, I understand, recently published a book on artist stamps.

I sell my creativity at work so I can earn a living and I send out postcards for free. Craig may create architectural drawings that he pitches to clients for jobs and then in the evening makes digital images to post into the message boards. Mail art's heartbeat is not so much the rules to hassle over (although they have been a focus of dispute), it is a mail box full of stuff and a world of connections to other creative people. The message boards have not become a very representative space for mail art. The snail mail box is still the place to look for mail art if you are to understand the vital creative spiritual political aesthetic spaces from which mail art may, or may not, be moving.

I agree with Matt Ferranto in his mail art critique at www.spareroom.org on this one, there has been an emphasis to explore and critique mail art mores and values, but it is more interesting to receive, send, see, compare, and contrast actual examples of mail art. I learn something new each time I receive a piece of mail art.</HTML>
Merlin
Re: mailart is not free/ is e-mail free???
May 26, 2001 11:34PM
<HTML>What you would call freedom and what you would accept???

after WE (whom?) offered U e-groups email websites and more-
messageboards U are re-invited-----

what the hell we could do to satisfy this whowling lonely wulf
again to give him freespace he never fighted for by himself????

is it this kind of your freedom to spamm new boards - to play with-
even with moderators email adresses--- kicking ?m out and....

is this kind of your freedom??

I am not angry - just trying to repair my systems and computer.

U see the machine and Merlin is still alive.

I am accepting Craig if U are accepting crosses net.- all substrings
and Moderatores- why to put trouble online ownly?

If not - your way but please then keep out here!

ask yourself! - I accepted You.

my name is Merlin

stop flaming me at tabloid trash.

set real links like I do!

instead of this I will do:::::!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTHING

ZEN</HTML>
rae's of sun
Re: mailart is not free/ is e-mail free???
May 27, 2001 03:10AM
<HTML>greetings -

why mail?? Well, I personally enjoy painting, gluing, dreaming and mailing. I enjoy receiving mail and sending mail. I do not get off on e-mail (I rarely ever look at it). I generally do not care for computer art. Send and receive love through the mail.</HTML>
craig
is all mail art good?
May 27, 2001 06:19PM
<HTML>?</HTML>
David Cammack
May 28, 2001 05:08AM
<HTML>Hey craig. Do you ever send Mail Art???? I'd love to see some REAL mail art from you in my mail box, rather than these poorly scanned images you keep posting to this message board.

David C.</HTML>
craig
REAL mailart
May 28, 2001 04:08PM
<HTML>I have chosen not to do "real" mailart but rather to network via the screen. I compose my images at higher resoultions and then reduce them for viewing on the internet. You sent me some color xerox artist stamps that were ok in iomage quality not "originals" Would these copies you sent be considered "real" mail art?</HTML>
craig
roadtax.jpg
May 28, 2001 06:40PM
<HTML>higher resolution on the way
c</HTML>
rae\'s of sun
May 29, 2001 03:17AM
<HTML>Who's the judge?</HTML>
craig
judging mail art
May 29, 2001 03:52PM
<HTML>Mail Art in a sense is about self publishing without regard of the influence of mainstream opinion. Ray, in randomly going through phone books to pick out addrresses, was hardly looking for dialogue or relationship so dear to the mail art community and pretty close to being its raison d'etre.

When Ray sent images to museum curators or other artists he was self publishing with the authenticating brand of the post office as curatorial presence duly time/date stamping his work and entering it into history for future reference by academics and intellectual studying the "movement" he created. He eschewed the opinion of critics I believe because he wanted his work to be wild and free and not beholden to the critics, gallery owners and patrons. In a sense main stream artists are limited by their patrons by expressing concepts acceptable to those supporting them.

This lack of a patron is mail arts strength but also its weakness because a culture of criticism is lacking within the commmunity and a clannish quality develops. Perhaps the next generation evolution of mail art lay outside of the traditional mail art networks already developed.</HTML>
craig
judging mail art
May 29, 2001 03:53PM
<HTML>Mail Art in a sense is about self publishing without regard of the influence of mainstream opinion. Ray, in randomly going through phone books to pick out addrresses, was hardly looking for dialogue or relationship so dear to the mail art community and pretty close to being its raison d'etre.

When Ray sent images to museum curators or other artists he was self publishing with the authenticating brand of the post office as curatorial presence duly time/date stamping his work and entering it into history for future reference by academics and intellectual studying the "movement" he created. He eschewed the opinion of critics I believe because he wanted his work to be wild and free and not beholden to the critics, gallery owners and patrons. In a sense main stream artists are limited by their patrons by expressing concepts acceptable to those supporting them.

This lack of a patron is mail arts strength but also its weakness because a culture of criticism is lacking within the commmunity and a clannish quality develops. Perhaps the next generation evolution of mail art lay outside of the traditional mail art networks already developed.</HTML>
Ruud Janssen
May 29, 2001 05:17PM
<HTML>Who judges mail-art? The receiver off course. If I don't like it, it isn't good mail-art in my eyes. If someone else likes it. It is good mail-art. Mail-art is a communication-form mostly one-to-one. The contact continues mostly because both correspondents like what they get. The contact is broken if they don't like what they send each-other.

I never reacted to Craigs e-mail a lot because it isn't my way of communicating. Good or bad. It is all very subjective</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.