Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Mail Art Not War!

Advanced

mail art from beyond the grave

honoria
mail art from beyond the grave
August 31, 2001 07:35PM
<HTML>I recieved a large yellow envelope from Judith Conaway. There was a picture window cut in the back side of the envelope with an image of David Zack peering out. Inside was the text of a slide show that David Zack presented in Calgary Alberta Canada in the Spring of 1981. What an amazing thing to get in the mail.

David Zack presented the talk in conjunction with a show of art works from several locations and groups from his life; family, photography, collage, mail art networking, New York, LA, Mexico... Here is a quote from his 1981 talk.

"I am dealing with networks as a practical day-to-day one-on-one person-to-person reality. I also see the network as a rich area for theoretical concentration. Traditional education leads people to view society as a hierarchy, entertainment as a star system, and economics as intensely competitive.

Networks as they operate among people striving for social change do away with, or at least minimize, the importance of mass acceptance of standards, and replace this traditional other-direction with an open attitude toward a group of people intensely receptive to shsaring such an attitude as a practical basis for doing life-sustaining projects."

The image of Zack was from the Mailart/Zack memorial poster from 1995. Mail art has been and continues to be full of the unexpected.</HTML>
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.